PROCESS OF PURCHASING PROPERTY ON St. KITTS AND NEVIS
1) Any person who is not a national of St. Kitts and Nevis needs an Alien Land Holding
License to own property on Nevis. This should take about one month to 6 weeks for
approval and any lawyer will have application forms and can assist you with filling
2) Negotiate and agree price and what is being sold (furniture, equipment and even
3) Appoint local attorney.
4) Sign Sales Agreement, normally a deposit of 10% of the purchase price is paid at
signing of the Sales Agreement. This agreement should be contingent on (a) the
Government approving the Alien Land Holding License application or (b) the
Government making a decision on the Alien Land Holding License application in a
reasonable period of time.
5) Once the Alien Land Holding License is approved you move to closing.
The purchaser pays
• The balance of the purchase price (90%)
• Alien Land Holding License fee 10%
• Legal fees normally about 3%
The Seller pays
• Government stamp duty 10%
• The real estate commission
• The Seller shall settle all obligations through and including the closing date,
including but not limited to telephone, cable TV, electricity, water bills and house
and land tax.
On completion of the sale, the Sellers shall deliver to the Purchasers a Memorandum of
Transfer of the land hereby sold executed by the Sellers in favour of the Purchasers to
transfer the title to the land to the Purchasers free and clear of any liens or encumbrances
whatsoever, except for standard utility easements.
Note: The above information applies to the purchase of a property not involving the
application to obtain Citizenship.